Sunday 3 June 2012

New life for old items - adding something unique to your home

Some items we keep due to sentimental value, even though we dont have them displayed in our homes.  Unfortunately, some times they just end up in a box somewhere only to be brought out to look at on occassion.
I had been given this printing stamp letter drawer years ago, but it sat in storage for a long time.  I was searching for a way to incorporate this old drawer into my decor so I could actually enjoy it.  It's not something that everyone has, and thought it would make an interesting piece of wall art once I transformed it. 

I decided to mix this older piece in with my living room, but my first inkling was to transform it with some paint.  This is it in its original condition.  I felt the major drawback here was the range of colours.  The letter stamps are gray, the box a dirty brown and then topped off with a dark green metal handle.  Not much in the way of contrast to show off all the details. 



White paint was applied to the entire piece, except for the handle, which was changed from dark green to black.  Finally, some contrast!  Now the dark grey metal letter stamps would finally show up properly against the lighter background! 

Here it is after the paint, - now to add the letters.  


Having only a limited amount of letters to put in it at the moment, I am scouring antique shops and markets to add to my little collection.  My plan is to spell the names of everyone in our immediate family, as well as other words that evoke family life.  The addition of other minitures that represent our families heritage will be placed in amongst the letters. 


Now it is unique piece that works with the room and communicates something about our family. Who knows when it will be finished? It is something I can continue to add to as the years go by.



I found other examples of ways in which these letter trays were used.  Have a look at some of the other creative ideas people have come up with:

seakettle.com

A great way to keep jewellry organized!
A printers tray transformed into a coffee table - I love this idea! 
                                                                                                                  . 


houseandhome.co.uk
boysmyjoys

The perfect way to keep your kids legos on display.  (And from stepping on them in sock feet!)

I hope this post gave you some recycling and upcycling ideas - have a look around - you may just find an old item that you can use for a new purpose.

Check back soon - my next blog will talk more about displaying collections in your home.  Subscribe to Renew your rooms by entering your email address at the top of the page.  That way you will never miss a post!













No comments:

Post a Comment