Thursday 8 March 2012

Inspiration for a girls room - Part Two

I am now at the midpoint in the update for Ashten's room.  After adjusting the drapes, adding the newly painted desk and some accent pillows her room is starting to come together! 

I wanted to talk a bit about the drapery.  As I said earlier, I found some rod pocket panels on sale in the colour I wanted.   Rod pocket panels can be used just about anywhere, and they are a very simple way to make curtains.  Since they were almost 6" too long, after hemming them I made small strips out of the leftover fabric and attached these to the back of the panels, spaced 5" apart.  Doing this resulted in back tab panels, which shows the definition of the pleats much better.   

So now instead of this look:

I ended up with this:

Not everyone will notice a huge difference, but to me its all in the details.

For the accent pillows I took off the old covers and reused the inserts.  I searched Fabricland and found some lovely pink fabric with a sheen.  It was a good match at a good price.  So I was able to construct 2 new pillow covers from that with plenty left over. 


On to the desk. I wanted to use an unexpected colour and so I came up with this:



I love this new colour, as does Ashten.  The colour is called Leapfrog by Behr.  It picks up on the same colour in the carpet as well.   I spray painted the existing pulls in hammered silver, since finding ones to fit the holes exactly would have been a problem.  I also had some moulding cut to fit around the perimeter of the drawers to add a bit more detail.  I proceeded to paint the trim silver to match the drawer pulls.


The final component was to accentuate the shape of the curved wood by painting a straight silver line above it. I am happy with the transformation of the desk, so far it has been my favourite piece to work on.  

So my search continues for a suitable chair, and the accessories.  I sincerely hope I can find another used piece of furniture I can have some fun with.  In my mind I can already picture what it will look like, but i just have to locate that "diamond in the rough" .

So the next post will be the final look, in the meantime maybe this post will inspire a few of you to revamp an old piece of furniture. 

Thanks for visiting!

email:  linda@changesinteriordesign.ca





1 comment:

  1. I love the colour of the desk Linda and can't wait to see the final result!!

    ReplyDelete